Domestic movies dominated the South Korean box office last month.
The Korean Film Council said domestically produced films captured a 75-point-nine percent market share in February, up 26-point-four percentage points from 49-point-five percent in January.
The movie "Nameless Gangster" topped the box office with more than four million viewers. "Dancing Queen" came in second with one-point-six million viewers, and "Howling" ranked third, drawing one-point-36 million people to the theater.
Reported by KBS WORLD RadioContact the KBS News: email@example.com
Korean movies dominated the domestic box office last month where 3 out of 4 moviegoers saw a film made by Korean filmmakers.
The Korean Film Council said Korean cinematic hits took 75.9 percent of the market in February jumping 26 percent from January's ticket sales.
The last time Korean films took over 70 percent of the domestic box office since the nation relaxed screen quotas to allow more foreign movies was in September 2011 and February 2007.
"Nameless Gangster" a film noir ganster flick set in the 1980s topped the charts followed by Uhm Jung-hwa's "Dancing Queen" the thriller "Howling" and the political drama "Unbowed".
- Stay on topic and do not spam.
- Emoticons are fun, but actual thoughts are appreciated.
- Refrain from abusive language.
- Post only in English, as this is an English language community.
- Do not share pages or media unrelated to the topic you are commenting on.
- Do not request or mention illegal download/streaming services.
- No graphic content allowed.
- Respect the right of other users to share their opinion. Arguments are welcome, fights are not.
Comments which break the rules will be erased. Repeated rule breaking will result in blacklisting.
Subscribe to HanCinema Pure to remove ads from the website (not for episode and movie videos) for US$2.99 per month (you can cancel anytime).
The first step is to be a member, please click here : Sign up, then a subscribe button will show up.