By Kwon Mee-yoo
Actor Jo Seung-woo affirmed his overwhelming presence in musical theater once again by winning the Best Actor at The Musical Awards 2012, Monday, for his role of Yuri Zhivago in "Doctor Zhivago".
It's Jo's third trophy as Best Actor - he was named the most prominent musical actor for portraying Don Quixote in "Man of La Mancha" in 2008 and Dr. Jekyll in "Jekyll and Hyde" last year.
Jo, who finished "Doctor Zhivago", Sunday, thanked the cast and crew of the musical.
He joined the production just two weeks ahead of opening, after Joo Ji-hoon quit due to health problems. "Doctor Zhivago", which premiered in Australia and then headed to Seoul for another tryout, received a lukewarm reception at first, since the show was not a proven hit.
However, it was Jo who reversed the situation and expressed the subtle emotions of Zhivago, a doctor and poet who loved two women, onstage.
Singer-turned-actress Ock Ju-hyun received the Best Actress award for her portrayal of Austrian empress in "Elisabeth".
"Elisabeth" was the hottest musical of the year, grabbing eight trophies out of 12 nominations. Including Ock's Best Actress, the show won the Musical of the Year, Best Featured Actor (Park Eun-tae), Best Musical Director, Set Design, Costume, Lighting and Sound Design.
Kim Jun-su of JYJ, who gave charismatic performances as Death in "Elisabeth", and Kim Sun-young of "Elisabeth" and "Zorro" received the male and female Popular Star Award respectively, which was voted for by the audience.
Source : www.koreatimes.co.kr/...
- Stay on topic and do not spam.
- Emoticons are fun, but actual thoughts are appreciated.
- Refrain from abusive language.
- Post only in English, as this is an English language community.
- Do not share pages or media unrelated to the topic you are commenting on.
- Do not request or mention illegal download/streaming services.
- No graphic content allowed.
- Respect the right of other users to share their opinion. Arguments are welcome, fights are not.
Comments which break the rules will be erased. Repeated rule breaking will result in blacklisting.
The first step is to be a member, please click here : Sign up, then a subscribe button will show up.