< Solace > is Director BYEON Seung-wook’s debut piece. He has worked under Director LEE Chang-dong as the assistant director for < Peppermint Candy >, a groundbreaking film in Korean cinema known for its solid screenplay and unique narrative.
[HanCinema's Film Review] In Defense of "The Cat" 2011/10/29, Byeon Seung-wook's "The Cat" has been misjudged and misunderstood. Before writing this I came across a number of reviews citing numerous issues they had with the film. These criticisms largely stemmed from examining the film as strictly a 'horror' film and how the conventions of the genre weren't well executed within it. In addition, "The Cat" was seen to contain poor tonal and thematic motifs, impotently embossing its narrative with soft-core techniques and themes that resulted in nothing more than an average viewing experience. This displeased me because my initial reaction to the film was very positive. After some thought and reflection on the film, I began to formulate some of reasons I found this film to be not only entertaining but thought provoking as well,...More
- Stay on topic and do not spam.
- Emoticons are fun, but actual thoughts are appreciated.
- Refrain from abusive language.
- Post only in English, as this is an English language community.
- Do not share pages or media unrelated to the topic you are commenting on.
- Do not request or mention illegal download/streaming services.
- No graphic content allowed.
- Respect the right of other users to share their opinion. Arguments are welcome, fights are not.
Comments which break the rules will be erased. Repeated rule breaking will result in blacklisting.
To participate to HanCinema, you must sign up or log in. Sign up, Why ?
Subscribe to HanCinema Pure to remove ads from the website (not for episode and movie videos) for US$2.99 per month (you can cancel anytime).
The first step is to be a member, please click here : Sign up, then a subscribe button will show up.