[HanCinema's Hall of Fame] "My Wife is a Gangster": Through Sickness and Health 2014/03/08, In the Spotlight this Week: Jo Jin-kyoo's "My Wife Is a Gangster"...
Of all the genres Korea cycles through the gangster flick is arguably one of the oddest. Romantic comedies, melodramas, revenge thrillers, and disaster films I understand (at least from a socio-historical standpoint), but gangsters? There are no iconic tommy guns, dastardly drive-byes, decaying dead horses, or even much history behind its inclusion as far as I am aware. When I think of gangsters my mind manifests either impeccably dressed Italians hanging out in the back of family-owned pizzeria, or the faceless masses of a Yakuza-style entourage, their bodies riddled with tattoos and scars. Korea gangsters, however, seem to lean more towards the Japanese stereotype as swarms of suits, skin art, and blades seem to be the preferred tools of the trade. But what almost all gangster films have in common is this unwavering subscription to inter-gang authority, a strict hierarchy that holds one man above all others, a phallocentric pyramid that one has to mount in order to become more than a mere errand boy with a bad attitude. Strange then, if not surprisingly refreshing, that in "My Wife Is a Gangster" the most feared, respected, and obeyed figured is woman,...More
- Stay on topic and do not spam.
- Emoticons are fun, but actual thoughts are appreciated.
- Refrain from abusive language.
- Post only in English, as this is an English language community.
- Do not share pages or media unrelated to the topic you are commenting on.
- Do not request or mention illegal download/streaming services.
- No graphic content allowed.
- Respect the right of other users to share their opinion. Arguments are welcome, fights are not.
Comments which break the rules will be erased. Repeated rule breaking will result in blacklisting.
To participate to HanCinema, you must sign up or log in. Sign up, Why ?
Subscribe to HanCinema Pure to remove ads from the website (not for episode and movie videos) for US$2.99 per month (you can cancel anytime).
The first step is to be a member, please click here : Sign up, then a subscribe button will show up.