Directed by Kim Il-rhan (김일란)115min | Release date in South Korea : 2009/06/04
KOH Jong-woo, who says that he has been a man since birth, has been taking hormones for eight years. He thinks that if he cannot become completely ‘masculine,’ he will not be recognized as a man. He also wants to erase his experiences as a woman. HAN Moo-ji, a transgender civil rights activist who underwent the surgical removal of her breasts, ponders FTM identity as her body is becoming more and more like a nontransgender male body. He wonders what it is that makes a human being into a male or a female. KIM Myung-jin did not reject having a female body, but changed his sex in order to live according to his own will. However, his new social security number does not solve all of his problems. His records that state that he went to a girl’s middle school and high school, and issues regarding military service still create many problems for him. (Jay SOHN)
International Film Festivals
2008 Women Make Waves Film Festival, Country in Focus: Korean Passion
Sin Min-ah, Lim Soon-rye, Kim Dong-won Support Message
|115 min •Super 16mm|
|Festival(s) & award(s)|
|Sales or release dates & Box Office|
- Stay on topic and do not spam.
- Emoticons are fun, but actual thoughts are appreciated.
- Refrain from abusive language.
- Post only in English, as this is an English language community.
- Do not share pages or media unrelated to the topic you are commenting on.
- Do not request or mention illegal download/streaming services.
- No graphic content allowed.
- Respect the right of other users to share their opinion. Arguments are welcome, fights are not.
Comments which break the rules will be erased. Repeated rule breaking will result in blacklisting.
Subscribe to HanCinema Pure to remove ads from the website (not for episode and movie videos) for US$2.99 per month (you can cancel anytime).
The first step is to be a member, please click here : Sign up, then a subscribe button will show up.
Movie of the Week