Directed by Lee Chang-dong (이창동)114min | Release date in South Korea : 1997/02/07
This is a melodrama depicting death, love, pain, and the hardships that an innocent young man experiences in a violent society, where the meaning of family vanishes because of industrialization. Mak-Dong finishes his military service and is on the way home, when he helps Mi-Ae, who is being harassed by gangsters. As a result, he misses his train. Mak-Dong arrives home with her rosy scarf in his hand. Nobody welcomes Mak-Dong except his big brother with polio. Mak-Dong except his big brother with polio. Mak-Dong wishes he managed a good restaurant so that all the family members could live together. So he goes to Seoul searching for work and goes to the night club where Mi-Ae sings, to return her scarf. Mi-Ae is the mistress of the gangster Bae Tae-Gon. She finds a job for Mak-Dong through Tae-Gon. Mak-Dong begins to work in the parking lot and falls into the Family of violence...
International Film Festivals
2003 Buenos Aires International Independent Film Festival ,
2003 Prague International Film Festival Febiofest ,
2004 Jakarta International Film Festival,
2005 the Tiger Eye Firecracker Showcase,
2005 Filmasia Film Festival , Tribute to actor Han Seok-kyu
2008 Fribourg International Film Festival, Tribute to Lee Chang-dong
Box Office in Seoul (Admission) : 163.655
|Cinema Service (시네마서비스)|
|114 min •35mm •Panoramic (1.85)|
|Festival(s) & award(s)|
|Sales or release dates & Box Office|
- Stay on topic and do not spam.
- Emoticons are fun, but actual thoughts are appreciated.
- Refrain from abusive language.
- Post only in English, as this is an English language community.
- Do not share pages or media unrelated to the topic you are commenting on.
- Do not request or mention illegal download/streaming services.
- No graphic content allowed.
- Respect the right of other users to share their opinion. Arguments are welcome, fights are not.
Comments which break the rules will be erased. Repeated rule breaking will result in blacklisting.
The first step is to be a member, please click here : Sign up, then a subscribe button will show up.