Directed by Kim Tae-il (김태일)104min | Release date in South Korea : 2011/05/12
This year is the 30th anniversary of the Gwangju Democratization Movement. Though the country commemorates the event as the official historical records, it does not include any 'real' accounts of the people who experienced it firsthand. The students who were part of the movement; the female vendors who made rice balls for the students; the female high school students cooked at the government building; now, past their middle age, they live as ordinary citizens in Gwangju city. How is the event remembered by these people? The memories of the event are not a forgotten past but still reside even till today. On the one hand the film re-enacts the resistance and on the other hand it portrays the past and present of the people, through interviews, who partook in the movement. It unravels the official history through private memories and again through collective memories. The film conveys the paradox of people's fading memory of the event while telling the tale remembered by history. This film is a journey, created in an effort to remember the people who survived this historical event. (HONG Hyosook)
Watch NowOn DramaFever if available
|104 min •HD •16/9|
|Festival(s) & award(s)|
|Sales or release dates & Box Office|
- Stay on topic and do not spam.
- Emoticons are fun, but actual thoughts are appreciated.
- Refrain from abusive language.
- Post only in English, as this is an English language community.
- Do not share pages or media unrelated to the topic you are commenting on.
- Do not request or mention illegal download/streaming services.
- No graphic content allowed.
- Respect the right of other users to share their opinion. Arguments are welcome, fights are not.
Comments which break the rules will be erased. Repeated rule breaking will result in blacklisting.
Subscribe to HanCinema Pure to remove ads from the website (not for episode and movie videos) for US$2.99 per month (you can cancel anytime).
The first step is to be a member, please click here : Sign up, then a subscribe button will show up.