Directed by Hong Sang-soo (홍상수)
Screenplay by Hong Sang-soo (홍상수)101min | Release date in South Korea : 2017/03/23
After an affair with a married man, celebrated actress Younghee decides to take some time out. She travels to the far-off, foreign city of Hamburg. In a conversation with a friend she asks herself if her lover will follow her and whether he misses her as much as she misses him. During her long walks through wintry parks and along riverbanks she attempts to become clear about her feelings and desires.
The question about the meaning of love in our lives is a common theme in all the films of Hong Sangsoo, and yet the answers to this question always appear to just slip from our grasp. Back in Korea, Younghee meets some old friends in the coastal town of Gangneung. They eat and drink together and, as is so often the case in Hong Sangsoo’s films, Korea’s national drink Soju plays an important part. Under the influence of alcohol Younghee provokes, insults and angers the others. Their conversations get more and more out of hand, giving vent to minor and major realisations and truths. Afterwards, Younghee withdraws to a deserted beach. It seems as if she can only truly find herself in nature.
Berlin International Film Festival 2017
Watch NowOn DramaFever if available
English Subtitled Trailer
|Festival(s) & award(s)|
|Sales or release dates & Box Office|
- Stay on topic and do not spam.
- Emoticons are fun, but actual thoughts are appreciated.
- Refrain from abusive language.
- Post only in English, as this is an English language community.
- Do not share pages or media unrelated to the topic you are commenting on.
- Do not request or mention illegal download/streaming services.
- No graphic content allowed.
- Respect the right of other users to share their opinion. Arguments are welcome, fights are not.
Comments which break the rules will be erased. Repeated rule breaking will result in blacklisting.
Subscribe to HanCinema Pure to remove ads from the website (not for episode and movie videos) for US$2.99 per month (you can cancel anytime).
The first step is to be a member, please click here : Sign up, then a subscribe button will show up.