Directed by Lee Seo-goon (이서군)
Screenplay by Bae Se-yeong (배세영)107min | Release date in South Korea : 2010/10/21
Also known as "Doenjang"
When a convict on death-row wants bean paste stew before he dies, a director becomes curious. He finds out many surprising truths.
A notorious murderer’s last words before execution are a request to have the soybean soup he had before his arrest. In the same way the reporter tried to uncover the meaning of “Rosebud” in Citizen Kane, a broadcast producer starts tracing the secret of the soup. Behind the captivating taste lies a woman’s unfortunate life and love story.
It has been twelve years since Lee Seogoon made his last film, Rub Love, and here the director wonderfully mixes two different genres-the thriller and the love story. The English title, “The Recipe” contains a lot of meaning: a record of a person’s life, a memory of taste, an experience of loss and a chronicle of hurts. In this sense, the film is a recipe for everything. With his original touch, Lee illustrates the obsession with unforgettable memories of love and a fatalistic point of view. The soybean soup recipe contains pain, longing and salvation. In a sense, the recipe is the very history of Korea’s memory and tradition. (LEE Sang-yong)
Jang Jin Greetings
Doenjang's Woman Lee Yo-won
|CJ Entertainment (CJ Entertainment)|
|107 min •HD •Cinemascope (2.35)|
|Festival(s) & award(s)|
|Sales or release dates & Box Office|
- Stay on topic and do not spam.
- Emoticons are fun, but actual thoughts are appreciated.
- Refrain from abusive language.
- Post only in English, as this is an English language community.
- Do not share pages or media unrelated to the topic you are commenting on.
- Do not request or mention illegal download/streaming services.
- No graphic content allowed.
- Respect the right of other users to share their opinion. Arguments are welcome, fights are not.
Comments which break the rules will be erased. Repeated rule breaking will result in blacklisting.
Subscribe to HanCinema Pure to remove ads from the website (not for episode and movie videos) for US$2.99 per month (you can cancel anytime).
The first step is to be a member, please click here : Sign up, then a subscribe button will show up.