Directed by Chung Ji-young (정지영)100min | Release date in South Korea : 2012/01/18
The controversial "Unbowed" dramatizes 2007’s Crossbow Terror Incident between a college professor and a judge. Now in his late 60s, director Chung Ji-young emphasizes that he continues to adhere to his awareness of social problems as he did in his heyday of "Nambugun" and "White Badge". Chung’s style as a critical realist also remains unchanged. He uses a documentary touch to track and portray how an honest person’s conviction can be marginalized by mass logic. While the director does not lose his critical stance, he avoids agitation and sentimentality. The characters do not represent good and evil; they are not dogmatically idealized or condemned. Chung knows how to maintain dramatic tension. Ahn Seong-gi plays the professor, creating an impression stronger than expected. In many ways, his performance recalls "Silmido", and his portrayal of private tenacity is first class. The physicality of his silence telegraphs the movie’s theme. Nah Yeong-hee’s realistic performance as his wife, Park Won-sang’s as the lawyer, and Kim Ji-ho’s as a reporter also lend the film increased authenticity. (JEON Chanil)
Reason of a Meeting
Naneun Ggomsuda Maker Recommendation
|Naver Blog (네이버 블로그)|
|Festival(s) & award(s)|
|Sales or release dates & Box Office|
- Stay on topic and do not spam.
- Emoticons are fun, but actual thoughts are appreciated.
- Refrain from abusive language.
- Post only in English, as this is an English language community.
- Do not share pages or media unrelated to the topic you are commenting on.
- Do not request or mention illegal download/streaming services.
- No graphic content allowed.
- Respect the right of other users to share their opinion. Arguments are welcome, fights are not.
Comments which break the rules will be erased. Repeated rule breaking will result in blacklisting.
The first step is to be a member, please click here : Sign up, then a subscribe button will show up.