The Tongyeong International Music Festival will kick off next Friday in the coastal city of 140,000 people in South Gyeongsang Province.
The festival started in 1999 as a one-off concert to commemorate the late composer Yun I-sang and was officially established as an international event in 2002. It has since grown into a classical music festival that draws world-famous musicians and orchestras from around the globe.
Now in its 10th year, the festival is ready to expand its global standing with the establishment of its own orchestra. Alexander Liebreich, conductor of the Munich Chamber Orchestra, was appointed artistic director last year to lead the 70-person Tongyeong Festival Orchestra.
"When a 1,300-capacity concert hall and 300-people recital hall are completed in June of next year, the festival will undoubtedly become one of the best in Asia", said Lee Hong-koo, the festival's director, at a press conference on Tuesday. Lee previously served as Korea's prime minister.
Source : english.chosun.com/si...
- Stay on topic and do not spam.
- Emoticons are fun, but actual thoughts are appreciated.
- Refrain from abusive language.
- Post only in English, as this is an English language community.
- Do not share pages or media unrelated to the topic you are commenting on.
- Do not request or mention illegal download/streaming services.
- No graphic content allowed.
- Respect the right of other users to share their opinion. Arguments are welcome, fights are not.
Comments which break the rules will be erased. Repeated rule breaking will result in blacklisting.
Subscribe to HanCinema Pure to remove ads from the website (not for episode and movie videos) for US$2.99 per month (you can cancel anytime).
The first step is to be a member, please click here : Sign up, then a subscribe button will show up.