Directed by Soopum Sohn (손수범)90min | Release date in South Korea : 2010/11/25
"Fetish" is a co-production between South Korea and the USA
Also known as "Make Yourself at Home" (시집)
"Fetish" is feature debut of the director Soopum Sohn, who was invited to PIFF and Cannes with his short [Fish in the Sea Is Not Thirsty] in 2000. The film has been noted since its early production stage starring the celebrated Korean actress Song Hye-kyo. In the upper class suburbs of New Jersey, Korean-American Peter is starting a new life with his mysterious bride, Sookhy, whom he met through a marriage broker in Korea. She chose this foreign country to avoid the power of shamanism, but her fate doesn’t let her run way from it. The film portraits church-based Korean communities in states, where the traditional values are rather ignored by American pragmatism and conflict arises between two different cultures-orient and occident. The two cultures get close and wrecked, just as Sookhy tries to be American woman imitating her neighbor Julie. "Fetish" surprises and confuses the audience with its complexities of cultural context and religious madness.
- Stay on topic and do not spam.
- Emoticons are fun, but actual thoughts are appreciated.
- Refrain from abusive language.
- Post only in English, as this is an English language community.
- Do not share pages or media unrelated to the topic you are commenting on.
- Do not request or mention illegal download/streaming services.
- No graphic content allowed.
- Respect the right of other users to share their opinion. Arguments are welcome, fights are not.
Comments which break the rules will be erased. Repeated rule breaking will result in blacklisting.
|Festival(s) & award(s)|
|Sales or release dates & Box Office|
Subscribe to HanCinema Pure to remove ads from the website (not for episode and movie videos) for US$2.99 per month (you can cancel anytime).
The first step is to be a member, please click here : Sign up, then a subscribe button will show up.
Drama of the week