South Korean films had a record year, according to the Korean Film Council (KOFIC) and its box office report for 2011. The governmental body has announced total box office receipts came to a record KW1.23 trillion (US$1.1 billion) last year, up 7.4% from 2010. Admissions also rose to 159 million, up 8.7% compared to the year before.
Korean films took 52% market share, making it the first time in four years that they took more than half the market. KOFIC's research department credits domestic films such as "Arrow, The Ultimate Weapon", "Sunny - 2010", "Punch", and "Silenced" for creating word-of-mouth not just at the cinema but in wider society. Several Korean films brought up social issues and created waves, even prompting new legislature as in the case of "Silenced", which is based on a true story of child abuse at a school for the hearing impaired.
Export figures also went up for the first time in five years, with completed films making a total of US$15.8m, which is up 16.5% compared to 2010. A record 366 films were sold last year. The last record was in 2008 with 361 films. Asia was the biggest buyer, accounting for 56.9% of Korean film sales, while Europe accounted for 22.2% and North America 10.5%
On average, South Koreans saw 3.15 films last year, up from 2.92 in 2010.
Top 10 Foreign & Local Films in 2011
(Title/ Distributor/ Admissions/ Gross)
*Rankings are by number of admissions.
1. Transformers: The Dark Side of the Moon (CJ E&M) 7,784,944/ KW74.8 billion (US$66.3million)
2. "War of the Arrows" (a.k.a. "Arrow, The Ultimate Weapon") (Lotte Entertainment) 7,470,633/ KW55.8 billion(US$49.4 million)
3. "Sunny - 2010" (CJ E&M) 7,362,657/ KW54 billion (US$47.8m)
4. "Punch" (CJ E&M) 5,309,928/ KW38.5 billion (US$34million)
5. Kung Fu Panda2 (CJ E&M) 5,062,722/ KW44.3 billion (US$39million)
6. Mission Impossible 4: Ghost Protocol (CJ E&M) 5,042,164/ KW38.2 billion (US$33.9million)
7. "Detective K": Secret of Virtuous Widow (Showbox / Mediaplex) 4,786,259/ KW35.8 billion (US$31.7million)
8. "Silenced" (CJ E&M) 4,662,822/ KW35.5 billion (US$31.5million)
9. Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Warner Brothers Korea) 4,400,298/ KW34.5 billion (US$30.5million)
10. Real Steel (Sony Pictures Releasing Buena Vista International Korea) 3,579,666/ KW26.5 billion(US$23.5m)
Kim Junsu: 'The Role That Has No Correct Answer Attracts Me'
Kim Junsu will play the role of Tod in the Musical "Elizabeth". The musical "Elizabeth" is based ,...More
Jang Dong-gun Returns To The Small Screen After 12 Years
Top actor Jang Dong-gun will be making his small screen comeback after 12 years! According to AM E,...More
Subscribe to HanCinema Pure to remove ads from the website (not for episode and movie videos) for US$0.99 monthly or US$7.99 yearly (you can cancel anytime). The first step is to be a member, please click here : Sign up, then a subscribe button will show up.