Director Kim Ki-duk's "Pieta" has been chosen to represent South Korea in the Foreign Language Film section at the 85th Academy Awards.
The Korean Film Commission said it selected "Pieta" based on its "authetic audaciousness" and the reputation of its director, among other factors.
Previous Oscar submissions from South Korea were "Mother" in 2009, "A Barefoot Dream" in 2010 and "The Front Line" in 2011. However, none made it to the final round of nominations.
"Pieta" won the best film award at this year's Venice International Flim Festival, drawing attention to whether it will become the first South Korean film to win an Academy Award.
Reported by KBS WORLD Radio Contact the KBS News: email@example.com
- Stay on topic and do not spam.
- Post only in English, as this is an English language community.
- Do not request or mention illegal download/streaming services.
- Do not post sexist, racist, homophobic or other hateful and discriminatory content.
- Refrain from abusive language.
- No graphic content allowed.
- Respect the right of other users to share their opinion. Arguments are welcome, fights are not.
Comments which break the rules will be moderated or erased. Repeated rule breaking will result in warnings followed by blacklisting upon non-compliance.
PYS's Gangnam Style Ranks on iTunes Top 10 Songs Chart
Korean rapper PSY's hit song, "Gangnam Style", has ranked on iTunes top ten songs chart. PSY's ag,...More
Subscribe to HanCinema Pure to remove ads from the website (not for episode and movie videos) for US$2.99 per month (you can cancel anytime).
The first step is to be a member, please click here : Sign up, then a subscribe button will show up.